Category Archives: Acrylic Paint Pour

Mini Pour Workshop

Yesterday was another workshop on Acrylic pouring techniques. We started in the morning with 8″ tiles. I did a quick demo using a previously used wood panel. Then I prepared full cups of five paints–white, black, red, yellow and blue.  Diluted them with water and PaintEasy, added some silicone, but ran out, so I used some RainX I had.

This is after it had dried some, but still has a long way to go. Can change a lot.

I did the pour on a sheet of Yupo  (26×20″ ) supported on a 3/4″ insulation board. Amazingly this stayed flat during the drying process. I put it out in the sun in the afternoon,  but didn’t have it perfectly level, so had a little running before it stabilized.  It is still beautiful, especially if you like bright saturated color. Later I tried a pour using some of the same colors   but added some metallic bronze as the predominant color, on a 1/2″ Foamcore board.  Remind me not to use them again.  Within a couple hours it wa shaped like a bowl and the metallic paint seemed to want to turn to mud. Boo hiss!!!!

Here’s a couple of the student pours.

One of Carrie’s pours. She did three others in the same color scheme.
One of Linda’s Pours
She used an unconventional approach. After failure of her first pour on this tile (mud), she poured some pure colors on top, and then heated it. What a nice tile she has–surprised us all.

 

 

Afternoon Pours

This afternoon I mixed a good amount of paint for pours. I used Dick Blick student grade fluid acrylics. They are quite old and were a little thicker than when purchased a couple years ago, so I mixed a little water in also.  I mixed all 5 paints the same way.
1. 60 cc. of paint
2. 30 cc. of PaintEasy
3. 4-5 cc of water as needed to thin it down to what I estimated the original viscosity of the paint was. I used, Titanium White, Ultramarine Blue, Magenta, Chrome Yellow (Probably a Cad Yellow-looks like it) and Mars Black.
4. Added 10-14 drops of Silicone. The silicone I use is from a spray that I spray in a larger bottle and then add to a dropper bottle. This technique keeps from getting all the chemicals in the spray indoors, as I can spray it in the bottle outside.

Here are some pictures of the pieces I did. First though my setup.

This shows my setup for the pours. The table in the distance is for collecting the completed pieces. It is very level.
This was my first pour today. White, yellow and red. Added a couple drops of red and black afterwards.
Swipe pour on a piece of hardboard that had been sealed with Gesso, and then i sanded the Gesso.
Was running out of white, so mostly yellow and black and some blue and a couple drops of red and white.
This was the last pour I did from that same mix of paint. Only had a few drops of white, lots of black and a little red and blue in the mix. This actually is an 8″ tile, but distorted because of the angle I had to take it to avoid reflections. I corrected it some, but didn’t want to loose any of it. I’ll get a better shot when it’s dry.
This is a shot of multiple drips from multiple pours this afternoon.

You can see from the last two that white is NOT necessary in every pour.  You can get cells without the white,  and I think they’re even better than with white.

Please add your comment or questions about my techniques.